Lets start from the BEGINNING! Jeff and I arrive at Valley Hospital at midnight Sunday night, so basically Monday morning. We go upstairs to labor and delivery and sign in. You write your name and the time your signing in. So, i wrote Kylie Burr, 12:03. The lady looked at the paper and said... "your late" Jeff goes are you kiddng me? We're 3 minutes late... She said no we have you marked on the calendar to be here at 11.."well my doctor told me to be there at 12." So the lady said "that's okay, let me find a nurse to get you started"...The nurse comes and takes me to my room. I was so excited to have my own room, if that hospital is busy you have to share a room with another person, but my doctor was nice and made sure i had my own room! I got settled in my gown and laid down onto the bed. 2 nurses came in to ask me questions and to get my IV started. The first nurse poked me in my left arm under my wrist where its tender.. she..of course blew the vein.. so she asked the other nurse to give it a try... the 2nd nurse went to my right arm and found a vein....she missed it.. They didn't want to poke me again so they called another nurse over..She finally was able to hit my vein! I was going nuts, because my last job i had was a Phlebotomist..(i drew peoples blood) I was about ready to tell them "just let me do it!" well they started hydrating me and they told me they'd be back to start my pitocin in just a "minute." An hour went by and they still hadn't started it.. Finally the nurse comes back in and said "sorry, we had to deliver someone, I'll start your pitocin right now. So it wasn't till around 2:00-2:30 that we FINALLY started this process! I was already having contractions 3-5 minutes apart..( i was feeling them at church, so i knew even if I wasn't going in to be induced, this baby was coming anyway!) so the night nurse i had was awesome! She came in and checked on my about every 45 minutes.. around 6:00am she asked if i wanted my epidural since the doctor was making his rounds at 6:30AM to do it. At that time i was dilated a 4, and the nurses make a shift change at 7, so i knew if i didn't get it then it could be awhile and i didn't want to test the pain! I told her of course I'd get it! The anesthesiologist was really good! i couldn't feel anything from right below my chest down...after i got the epidural my mom headed up to the hospital..I then was able to find a comfortable spot and sleep for a little bit. The nurses made their shift change and the new nurse came in to introduce herself.. she seemed pretty nice! Although she said she doesn't like to check the dilation every hour. she thinks the less you check the more you'll dilated... i was like whatever...so she only came in every like..2-3 hours...7cm came around the corner and I was in pain.. i wasn't comfortable at all, there was lots of pressure and i couldn't take it anymore.. the doctor came in again and gave me another dose of the epidural, after a little while i wasn't in pain anymore.. for about 4 hours i was stuck at 7CM.. My doctor came in and said if we don't make in progress within the next hour we'll have to do a c-sec because you've already been in labor for 13 hours...i was okay with having a c-section.... well about 45 minutes pass and the nurse came in and checked me and i was at 8 cm..since i had progressed another cm they wanted to wait one more hour to see if I'd make it to a 10..it had been 5 hours since i got my 2nd dose of the epidural and my body had HAD it! i was in the worst pain that i could ever imagine..I couldn't handle it anymore. The nurse came in and checked me.. sure enough i was dilated to a 10. and guess what? my doctor was helping out in another surgery! I was screaming and crying and I'm sure everyone in the hospital could hear me. My mom had to leave the room because i was screaming and crying and she knew there wasn't anything to do and she probably just didn't like seeing me in pain.. i told her to find the anesthesiologist and tell him i need another dose.. finally he came in and said "your nurse doesn't want me to give you another dose, but I'm going to give it to you anyway. I was so thankful for him!! so the nurse wanted to try to make my comfortable so she was shoving pillows on the sides of me and under my back and trying everything to make me comfortable but it wasn't working...i kept crying and screaming and i wasn't being very nice anymore. i COULDN'T take it! The nurse came in and said okay, I can feel the head, he's coming down! I'll let you try to push a little bit to try and relieve some of the pressure... so i started pushing, i could def, feel him coming down.. she told me i had to stop pushing because the doctor needs to be there.. well he was in SURGERY! i was going nuts! i asked her " have you ever delivered a baby without the doctor being there, because I'm so ready to do that! she said she had done it but she wasn't going to let it happen.. she wouldn't let me push anymore, although i couldn't help it! He needed to come out and he needed to come out NOW! I told her to call the doctor, and she said she wouldn't, but that she was trying to see how much longer he would be...I couldn't believe that she wouldn't cal him, even though he told her, " if she is ready call me and I'll leave surgery early to be here" well that stinkin nurse never called him to tell him i was ready!...an hour and a half pass and finally another nurse comes in and said dr paul is on his way, he'll be here in a minute.. I was so anxious! He finally showed up and as soon as he stood in front of me, his cell phone rang! I yelled " you've got to be kidding me!!" he talked on the phone for about a minute and then he said,, uhh i have to go now, I'll call you back later... I started pushing and he came out in about 10 minutes, with about 6-7 pushes...I couldn't believe the huge relieve my body had once he was out...Bentley was put on my stomach right away, while the wiped him down with a towel, i got to hold him for a minute, and then they weighed and measured him.. Bentley Owen Burr was born at 5:25 PM...6pounds 11 ounces and 18 inches long! I cried the moment he came into my arms.. i couldn't believe my son was finally here! I fell in LOVE with him instantly! So then Jeff went with the nurse to the nursery while they did a couple things to him... the nurse came back to clean up the room and to check on me...she came around onto the right side of the bed and held something up... i turned around and she said " this is why you were in so much pain!"...SHE WAS HOLDING UP THE CORD FOR THE EPIDURAL...THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE IN MY BACK FOR A CONTINUAL DOSE... uhh so i didn't even really GET the 3rd dose or anything because when the nurse was SHOVING pillows down my back she pulled it out on accident! Ugh i was so through with that nurse..So i was able to experience somewhat of a NATURAL birth, because i was able to feel it!...But hey, my son is totally worth all of that. Him and Jeff are the love of my life..they mean the world to me and nothing can change that!!
Thursday, August 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

That stinks that you could feel everything. At least it was a good experience for you. I'm glad you are doing well, and can't wait to meet him.
ReplyDeleteCONGRATULATIONS!!! I am sorry that labor was a little crazy--it always was for me as well. We are so happy for the little Burr family!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations Jeff and Kylie!!! Can't wait to see more pictures:) It's good to hear all went ok with labor...healthy wise I mean:) I tell you every labor will be different and it is the nurses that make or break it every time...my better labors are definitely the ones where the nurses knew how to help and walked me through it all...Anyway I'm so excited for you both. What a joyous time..enjoy your precious little one;)
ReplyDeleteSteph
Kylie, I am sorry, but I had to leave the room that last hour...I couldn't stand seeing you in all that pain AND hearing you too. Babe, you truly know the feeling of true child birth...I am so proud of you! Bentley was all worth it.
ReplyDeleteI love hearing other people's birth stories. I am sorry that the pain was so bad. I can sympathise considering the fact that I had Chase completely natural. It HURTS!!!!! :) Congratulations!!!!!! When things settle a little bit I want to come visit and bring your gift! New babies are SO EXCITING!!!!!!!
ReplyDelete